Axis Design owns the building next door, which includes a vacant space. With the growing population of freelancers and entrepreneurs in Austin and Round Rock, coworking spaces are becoming more popular. Axis Design created Gravity Workspace to cater towards those in Round Rock.
To better convey the vision of the space to potential clients, I helped out by creating some illustrations. I based the illustrations off the floorplan and incorporated the furniture and fixtures that will be utilized in the space.
At Axis Design, we created an elegant solution for a common bathroom problem. We also created a Kickstarter campaign to promote this idea.
A little while ago, my boss was finishing up a text in the bathroom and saw that there wasn't any place to put his phone after he was finished using it. We did a quick search to see if there are any bathroom solutions to this problem and we hadn't found any solution that solves this problem elegantly. Finding a place to rest your phone is a serious problem. According to a Plaxo survey, "19 percent of people, at some point have dropped their phone in the toilet."
This prompted us at Axis design to come up with a more unique solution towards setting your phone when its not in use.
Through ideation we explored a wide variety of ideas for toilet tissue holders that have space to rest your phone when its not in use. We chose 4 unique directions for refinement. The first idea is more contemporary in which the toilet tissue holder is incorporated into the endcap. The second direction is a little sleeker with a "C" shape profile. The third direction is the most modern looking with a slanted profile. The last direction is more of a traditional offering.
The chosen directions were refined in CAD. I modeled the first two directions in Solidworks, while my boss modeled the other two directions in Creo. Consideration was taken into producing the right proportion to accommodate a variety of phone sizes as well as manufacturability.
We utilized our prototyping facilities to CNC mill functional models of our designs. The architectural, squarish design and the C shaped design feature a brushed silver finish. The more contemporary direction features a polished finish with a bamboo ledge. The last design is a more traditional offering with a rubbed bronze finish.
Currently, we are looking for a viable manufacturer who can make a limited run production for one design. If we can generate enough interest, we hope to get all the designs into mass manufacture.
I made a lamp for the Soulcake office reflecting my personal interests in science fiction and cars.
At Soulcake, we were asked to design a lamp for the new office. For my lamp, I took a look at myself and what I enjoyed. I really enjoy cars and science fiction. I then asked myself, “is there a way I could combine those two directions?”
I remembered that the designers at Star Wars glued toys and various other things to form props. After some spray paint, the re-purposed object looked like a part of a spaceship or costume.
Knowing that I wanted to repurpose car parts to form a sculpture, I visited a junkyard. While I was there, I saw there were many possibilities, considering the myriad of car parts available.
Before I spent any money on parts, I decided to take many photos and come up with a solid strategy on what I'm going to do. I took photos of these parts next to a bottle, so I would be able to scale them correctly for my initial design sketch.
The initial direction was to cobble together whole lamp assemblies and have colored light show through the sculpture.
After the first trip to the junkyard and some discussion, I had a better idea on what I'm going to do. I made another trip to the junkyard to obtain parts and photographed each purchase for the next design sketch.
The initial idea was to make a "chandelier" style lamp with painted tail light lenses. I wanted to paint everything one color so it would resemble a sci fi prop.
Seeing how I was using transparent taillight lenses, I decided to mask off patterns for the light to show through. I wanted to also show interesting details in the parts, such as emblems and chrome trim. A black paint scheme gives the lamp a more sinister look.
I was curious to see how much light would show through the tail light lenses, so I did a mock assembly of the lamp and tested it at the office. A lot of light passed through the lenses, so my design direction is good to go!
I spent a good amount of time masking off the patterns. After everything was masked, I realized that black paint would hide the really cool designs. I bought some white paint and used my garage as a painting station.
After spending some time suspending the lenses from the hubcap, the finished product was ready to be hung. I'm very satisfied with how everything turned out and it was quite a fun learning experience making this lamp!